Yo life is pretty dope right now
As someone who has more issues than tissues, it can be difficult to recognize the dope shit happening in my life so I want to take a moment while I am in this mood of self-reflection to point out a few cool things that are happening in my life right now. So that when I am in the space of doubting myself and feeling anxious, I can come back to this post and say, “Girl, you’re good.”
Also, I would love for you to join me in this space and share your reasons why you are grateful or you can just write them down for yourself. Either way works for me! We just got to remember that we are doing way more than we are giving ourselves credit for so pats on the back for us.
(And yes, this is another list and you will deal and love it. Buzzfeed is quaking right now.)
- I work damn hard for a job that I love. I’ve realized over the years in the working world that I truly love being an assistant. This may appear to be counterintuitive to the corporate standard of climbing up the ladder but I am perfectly fine being on the sidelines, working my ass off and collecting my coin quietly. I also just love supporting people that are doing some great work and appreciate the work that I’m doing reciprocally.
- I live in a peaceful environment. Me being me, I daydream a lot about the future and one of the areas that I really think about is moving out in my own apartment - just me and no one else. Right now, I live in a room share and I actually love how calm the environment is and how well I get along with my housemates so I really need to remember to be grateful for the here and now while I’m daydreaming about my own apartment. I mean I will still watch a gazillion apartment tours on YouTube and get my life but I can look around and get my life by my own surroundings as well.
- I have people around me who love and care about me. One of my major struggles is feeling alone but I’m trying my hardest with tackling that issue by really recognizing and connecting with the amazing people that truly love and care about me. We can be so forgetful of that due to circumstances or just life or due to wiring in our brains. Whatever the case, it doesn’t mean we can’t gain control over this emotion and find ways to reach out and connect in some type of way.
- People actually support my creative work, my blog, my projects. Have you ever had to take a step back and be like "Wait... that's like whoa, wow, what?" Sometimes, this happens in the most random moments and recently, I was at an event for my job and someone, who I met before, came up to me and basically gushed about the website I designed for the Philadelphia Black Giving Circle and asked me some questions about my work and I literally felt like a celebrity for .05 seconds. I was like "What have I done to grant this attention and how can I get some more of it?" because I am a Leo and so that thought happens quite a bit. (Don't judge me.) Lol But seriously though, I am so thankful for you guys! I appreciate you way more than you know.
- I am able to create and share my creations super quickly. Back in the day, there was no such thing as a blog nor a quick way to share creations with the world. I am actually old enough to remember that life and dreams always seemed extra far away but now, they can be as close as your fingertips - literally! By pushing some keys on the keyboard, I have been able to express in ways I never thought imaginable and I am so grateful for that. I’ve noticed when I’m not doing anything creative, it brings me down a bit so I’ve been pushing myself to keep going, keep creating.
- Music is always available for me. If you have been following me for awhile, then you know I LOVE music. I even had a section called Music Monday. Every single day, I listen to music. It's like air. I have to hear some melodies, some harmonies, some instruments, some vibes in order to make my day brighter so shout out to all the incredible musicians doing their thang! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!
- I have access to food, shelter and water daily. I mean that’s dope period. I pray one day we will all be able to access the same for the well-being of humanity. That's not asking for much.
So these are just some of the things I am grateful for in my life, at this moment. What are some things you are thankful for? Who cares if it’s Turkey Day or not, let’s share and celebrate right now! (And who knows… maybe a full buffet of delicious food made by someone who can throw down in the kitchen will show up miraculously after you post a comment… You never know. 😉)